Really, I don’t feel like writing today.
Frankly, I don’t feel like doing much of anything.
Physically, I think I’m fine, but the energy level is not high today.
What are feelings anyway?
According to the dictionary, feelings are “an emotional state or reaction”.
There are some days when work is easy and you feel like you can do anything. A day later and you are struggling to get out of bed.
Feelings; uncontrollable, unpredictable.
What if there were a way to get out of a negative emotional state and into a more positive and productive outlook?
After some research and some thought, I decided I should share how I turned it around. After all, you are reading this post, so I must have gotten through. But how?
Our emotions are manageable. Here’s how I got through writing this post.
- Acknowledge your negative feelings.
- Write them down or say them out loud. Exactly as they are. Ugly as they are.
- Tell your feelings you see them. Tell your feelings you are aware of them. Tell your feelings you are watching their every move.
2. Decide to change.
- These feelings, this negative emotional state, will not stand. I am going to transform it to a positive feeling.
- Don’t skip this step. No need to do anything, just decide your mood is going to change for the positive.
3. Be grateful.
- Write down or say out loud ALL of the blessings in your life (warning: you will run out of time before this list is exhausted, so just keep it to 10-20 items)
- When these come to mind, become aware of how it makes you feel. Tie an emotional feeling to each blessing in your life. For instance when I think of my daughter and how thankful I am for her, I have this deep sense of joy. I remember a moment where we embraced after she returned from months away in Australia.
- Ask for guidance and inspiration. Expect that your prayers will bear fruit. Have a positive expectation of good.
- Look for someway to do something for someone. A kind word. A smile. Maybe you buy someone a coffee.
You see, a negative emotion, or melancholy can be transformed. Stay calm, be patient, and decide to make a change.
Wow, I actually finished this post, and boy do I feel good!